By Ayhan Simsek
German police have arrested a 28-year-old man on suspicion of last week’s bomb attack on Borussia Dortmund football club’s team bus.
The federal prosecutor’s office on Friday said the suspect -- Sergej W., a German-Russian national -- is believed to have planned the attack to make money in stocks, by benefiting from a sharp drop in the club’s share price.
“He is therefore accused of attempted murder, causing an explosion and grievous bodily harm,” prosecutors said.
The suspect stayed at team’s hotel on the day of the attack on April 11 and reserved a room where he could clearly survey the area, prosecutors added.
Three small explosions hit Borussia Dortmund’s team bus last week, a few hours before a Champions League quarter-final in the northwestern Germany city.
Dortmund player Marc Bartra was slightly injured in the attack; the match between Borussia Dortmund and Monaco was rescheduled.
Soon after the attack, German media speculated that terrorist group Daesh could have been behind the attack, as police found a letter near the scene of the explosion claiming responsibility.
However, security experts had expressed doubt about its authenticity.