By Murad al-Arifi
At least 11 fighters from the Shia Houthi militia and its allies were killed in clashes with government forces in Yemen’s southwestern Taiz province, a military source said Thursday.
“Fierce fighting erupted when Houthi rebels staged an attack in the Shaqab region east of the Sabr al-
According to al-Ashbat, 11 Houthi fighters were killed in the clashes, including the commander of the militia’s sniper division.
Three government military personnel, he added, had been injured in Wednesday’s melee.
Anadolu Agency was unable to obtain immediate comment from Houthi spokesmen regarding the army commander’s assertions.
Al-Ashbat went on to assert that the Houthis and their allies had retreated from the area after being repulsed by government forces, which, he said, were now advancing on Taiz city’s Houthi-held southern entrance.
Most parts of the city are currently under the control of government forces and pro-government volunteer fighters known as “popular resistance” committees.
Impoverished Yemen has remained in a state of civil war since 2014, when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including capital Sanaa.
The conflict escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi gains and shoring up Yemen’s pro-Saudi government.