Aamir Latif
12 April 2026•Update: 12 April 2026
The much-publicized talks between the US and Iran in Islamabad to end a wider Middle East war has "ended," Pakistan's top diplomat Ishaq Dar said Sunday, urging the two sides to uphold their "commitment" to a two-week ceasefire.
Speaking at a brief news conference in Islamabad, Dar hoped that the two sides would continue "with positive spirit" to achieve "durable peace and prosperity in the entire region and beyond.”
Stressing that it was imperative that the “parties continue to uphold their commitment to the ceasefire,” he expressed gratitude to the two sides for "appreciating Pakistan’s efforts to help achieve a ceasefire and its mediatory role.”
Pakistan, he said, has been and will continue to play its role to facilitate engagement and dialogue between Iran and the US "in the days to come."
“I, along with the Chief of Defence Forces and army chief Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, helped mediate several rounds of intense and constructive negotiations between the two sides that continued over the last 24 hours and ended this morning.”
Dar's remarks came after US Vice President JD Vance left Pakistan on Sunday after saying that the talks had failed to reach an agreement.
Vance left almost an hour after he addressed a news conference at the site of the trilateral Islamabad talks, mediated by Pakistan, which culminated almost 21 hours after they began Saturday.
The US and Iranian delegations, led by Vance and Iranian parliament's speaker Bagher Qalibaf, respectively, took part in the talks.
Pakistan hosted the talks under a fragile two-week ceasefire brokered earlier this week.
Call with Saudi, Egyptian top diplomats
Late Sunday, Dar separately spoke to Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan and Egyptian counterpart Badr Abdelatty, according to the Pakistani Foreign Ministry.
Dar briefed Prince Farhan and Badr on the talks and Pakistan’s continued efforts in facilitating engagement between the parties.
The Pakistani foreign minister emphasized that it “is imperative for all the parties to uphold” their commitment to the ceasefire, according to the statements released by Islamabad.
The talks were held after Pakistan secured a 14-day ceasefire between the warring parties on April 08.
Pakistan, along with Türkiye, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and China, has been holding back-channel diplomacy, which led to the halt in the US-Israeli war on Iran initiated on Feb. 28.