
Morsi and seven other defendants appeared in court Monday to answer charges that they had incited the murder of demonstrators outside Cairo's Ittihadiya presidential palace late last year.
Monday's court session was Morsi's first public appearance since his ouster more than four months ago. Since then, he has been held at an undisclosed location by Egypt's new military-backed authorities.
Trial proceedings were postponed by almost two months – they are now set to resume on January 8 – after defense lawyers requested more time to examine documentation related to the case.
Following Monday's session, Morsi was transferred to the Burg al-Arab Prison in western Alexandria.
Al-Damati said that he and other members of Morsi's defense team would probably be allowed to visit their client in detention.
"The court has allowed us to visit him," he told Anadolu Agency. "We're waiting for a written permit that we can present to the relevant authorities."
Morsi, for his part, does not recognize the trial's legitimacy and has refused formal legal representation.
At Monday's first court session, the ousted leader told the presiding judge that he still represented "Egypt's legitimate president."
Morsi, Egypt's first freely-elected civilian leader, was ousted by the country's military establishment on July 3 following protests against his presidency.
By Islam Tawfik - Anadolu Agency
englishnews@aa.com.tr